Friday, July 13, 2012

Vintage Earring Holder

Well, I finally made something that I've wanted to make for.ever.  I was sick of digging through my awkward basket of earrings and getting frustrated not finding matches (#firstworldproblems, right?).

Anyway, here it is!

Supplies: Picture frame (I got a nicely stained wooden one with a little design from Walmart for $3), paint, cheap paint brush, napkins (for the vintage look), picture hanging wire*, hot glue, cute earrings.

*I claim no knowledge as to what these supplies actually are called...

Paint the picture frame--I chose white:
In case you wanted to know what kind of paint and paint brush I used.
These cost me nothing since I bought them months ago!


Here's the picture frame painted white but with a little vintage look.


It was simple to give the frame a "vintage" look instead of a freshly painted look.  I just wiped some of the paint off with a napkin after I painted it.  When my roommate got home I did have to ask if it looked vintage or poorly painted.  Thankfully she answered the former.

I also really liked how you could see the design of the picture frame!


Then, take picture hanging wire and cut strands about the width of the picture frame and twist 2 together semi-loosely.



Here's a super-creepy selfie of halfway through twisting the wire.  It doesn't have to be perfect.
The more imperfections the better, right?


I made four strands of twisted wire (so needed 8 cut wires total).  After that it's time to hot glue to the picture frame.

Feel free to take weird pictures while you are waiting an extraordinarily long amount of time for the hot glue gun to warm up.  When it's been ten minutes and it's still not warm, turn the light switch on that controls the outlet it's plugged into.


I learned the less hot glue you use the faster it dries.
However, I go overboard on everything so I just. kept. laying. on. the. glue.


Here's the first string glued on.

Then, add your other strands.  Look at your earring collection to determine your spacing of the strands.  I wanted two rows for studs/short dangly earrings and two rows for bigger earrings.

Here's all four strands glued on.  Again, don't worry about perfection.  If the twisted wires are too tightly twisted or glued on, you won't be able to slide the earrings through the wires.

If you've gotten this far and turn the picture frame over and it doesn't look something like this, let me know because you probably messed up! :)


The. Best. Step.

Add your earrings!

Just slide them through the holes in the wires and set this on your dresser.  Game. Set. Match.  Earring Holder!


Project Cost:
Since I already owned the paint, paint brush, and glue gun the total cost of supplies was under $6.  The frame and picture wire were both about $3.  (I suppose the whole thing cost more since I have, over time, acquired all those great earrings!)

Project Time:
Under an hour.

Seriously. Just do this, it's great!

Plus, I'm going to get some dry-erase markers and turn the glass of the picture frame into a prayer intention board.  Waste free! :)









4 comments:

  1. woah, dream big.

    two updates. wow. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this. But it's cute :) Now if only I wore earrings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... My "woah, dream big" comment seems to fit now, doesn't it?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete