Tuesday, November 10, 2009

They really do drive on the wrong side of the road...

I originally thought everyone in Europe drove on the opposite side of the road. Then, I went to Germany and was proven wrong. I started believing that maybe it was all a lie and no one actually drove on the opposite side of the road. And then I went to London...and Dublin. It was so great. Immediately after disembarking the plane we got on a bus, and the door was on the left side where the steering wheal should have been. I loved it.

Also, written all over the crosswalks in both cities was directions on which way to look it said "look left" or "look right" and pointed to the corresponding direction. We nearly got hit numerous times! It was funny because everything you were ever taught about which way to look before crossing the street--something we don't even think about anymore--was called into question and changed. I would look at the commands of which way to check for traffic but wouldn't believe them because it felt all wrong. I would eventually have to look left then right and left and right again before crossing, just to make sure. My mind was so confused. But everything was okay because steering wheels were on the right side of cars!

No comments:

Post a Comment