Monday, February 27, 2012

Tuesday Lenten Media Fast for Freedom!

Hey friends!  So, I received an email from Gina today about fasting from media on Tuesdays during Lent specifically for our government leaders and our religious freedom.  That means, Emma, no blog posts for me for the next few Tuesdays--not that I have anything great to say anyway!  But read her email below and join in!  (Yes, that would mean postponing NCIS for the night...)


To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am sending out an email to invite you to join me in a small Lenten fast. This past 6 months have been a real challenge for me to maintain hope in a world full of despair and brokenness. With this latest HHS mandate (and attack on religious freedom), I have especially felt helpless and discouraged as I feel there is only so much one person can do in such a small sphere of influence. I have been praying very specifically for a conversion of our country and especially for the leadership of our country to recognize the truth that lies at the very foundation of this country - the Judeo/Christian God - the Way, the Truth and the Life and for them to recognize the gift that comes from each and every human life.

"Private prayer is like straw scattered here and there; if you set it on fire, it makes a lot of little flames. But gather these straws into a bundle and light them, and you get a mighty fire, rising like a column into the sky; public prayer is like that." ~ St. John Vianney

We need a mighty fire! If we want to set this world on fire with the Holy Spirit and bring life back into America, we are going to need sacrifices and prayers from MANY!

I am inviting you to join me in a media fast once a week - on Tuesdays - in which I will fast from all media. Of course, I cannot fast from my computer entirely as I would be unable to complete my job, but I will not spend any time on personal email, social online media, or reading up on the news via computer. I will not read the newspaper, watch the news, listen to the radio or read magazines. In my opinion, it would be irresponsible to do this for the entirity of lent since we, as Christians, need to be as educated as possible if we really want to be "dangerous" out in the the world in engaging those around us in relevant and important conversations. However, one day will be enough of a sacrifice where 1) we are free from the discouragement current events can bring and 2) we can offer this sacrifice up as a prayer intention for the conversion of the leadership of this country. I am also offering my rosary and daily prayer specifically for this intention all day so the time I would be spending on social media can be directed toward intentional prayer.

I know this isn't exactly public prayer, but it is a group of God's faithful children defending the Truth on a united front. Will you join me this Lenten season as we pray for a miracle and we pray for the salvation of our country, our families, and the world our children's children will inherit?

Keep fighting the good fight... and may we grow in hope this Lenten season as we await the Resurrection on Easter!

Waiting in joyful hope,

Gina

P.S. Please feel free to pass this on to others who might want to join us:)

Happy Lent!

3 comments: