Sunday, September 13, 2009

This is my hotel?

My travels went smoothly after the luggage fiasco. I arrived in Florence around 7PM. I couldn't go to the villa until the next day, so I had to find a taxi. I handed the taxi driver a slip of paper with the address of the hotel on it and he took me there. The ride was 30minutes. This is when I got my first glimpse of Florence (or Firenze as it's known here!) I saw sooo many neon hotel signs, and each time I hoped it was mine. Finally, he pulls over but a huge wooden door that resembles an apartment building or something--definitely NOT a hotel! Well, since I can't ask the taxi driver if I'm in the right spot, I pay him and stare at the 14 foot tall door.

I finally see a little half sheet of paper next to a doorbell that says "Siggiorno Pitti guests ring here." So, I pressed the button and nothing happened. A few minutes later I tried again and then realized I should try the door. It was open. Then I was stuck in a creepy entrance-way because there was a gate blocking the way to the hallway and elevator. I stood there for 3 or 4 minutes before realizing I should try to open the gate (you would think I would have learned from my previous mistake!). The gate opened, so I turned around to get my bags, and the gate shut...and locked. After a few more minutes of waiting and constantly trying the gate, it was re-unlocked and I was able to get it.

I go to the elevator and realize I have no clue what floor this place is on (I was, afterall, expecting an entire building to be dedicated to this "hotel".) So, I get my things in the elevator--which was about 5 feet long. It was two feet wide at both sides of the elevator and about a foot wide in the middle--which made everything super awkward and hard to do. I press the floor two button...no luck. But, finally, floor three, a hotel!! I check in and get a key to my room.

After I got settled in my room, I took my computer out to do some emailing/facebooking/blogging. There was no internet! I went to ask the man at the front desk if they had internet because I thought they did. He said they didn't...so I found a neighbors internet and stole it! After an hour and a half or so, my battery was getting low so I got out my fancy converter and went to plug it in. Only, my computer has three prongs and the converter only lets you plug in two pronged things. I was sad....haha....

I closed the computer down and read my book and fell asleep around 10 or 11. I had to check out of the hotel at 10:30 a.m. and had the hotel worker call me a taxi to take me to the villa!

No comments:

Post a Comment