Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Venezia è una bella città! (part due)

I'll try to be a bit more concise about day two of the Venice trip since it seems I went a bit overboard with day one's post. Anyway, to end the towel story from the previous page, we didn't get any towels. My roommates didn't shower and I showered that night and dried off with our hand towel. I was mad at the hotel. But, hey, if that was the extent of my woes in Venice, I figured I'd survive!

Well, Ashley, Ashley, Tessa, Amanda and Laura had decided to get up and walk around Venice at six a.m. When they told me the plan I thought it sounded like fun! At 5:45 the next morning, I didn't want to go anymore. But, I got up and we walked around Venice. The sunrise was magnificent and, get this, there were no tourists around! Palazzo San Marco was empty, save for the pigeons. Ponte Rialto, empty! It was so perfect. We go back to the hotel for a breakfast of croissants, rolls, juice, espresso, nutella, etc. Then we headed to the dell'accademia (a museum) for a guided tour by Prof. Mariotti. After the tour we were free to do as we pleased until we had to board a boat at 4:30 to head home.

Many, many people wanted to check out the Peggy Guggenheim Collection and another modern art exhibit. I really am not a fan of modern art, at all, so I said I was just going to walk around. There were a few other people that also just walked around and hung out. We got lunch at a pizzeria (I had a good pizza with different peppers on it) and watch tourists at Palazzo San Marco. We got a few souvenirs and gelato.

We eventually all made it back to the hotel and then to the boat to take us to the bus. The ride home consisted of some staring at the scenery in awe and a very short nap (in which I was woken up because I drooled...no one saw!). We had supper at the villa when we got back.

Later in the evening I was freaking out because the trip to Venice (a city that Amanda and I both thought didn't exist until we saw it with our own eyes) made me realize that I'm living in Italy right now. And I'm still freaking out in my head--I try not to vocalize those thoughts because people may think I'm weird. Oh well.

Ah, Venice. Grandma and Grandpa Voelker think Prague is the most beautiful city in the world. I'm headed to Prague in November and I think it may have some competition from Venice in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment